• 2 cups baby spinach leaves (2 oz.)
• 3 tbsp. raspberry vinaigrette
• 4 slices dark wheat or whole grain bread
• 2 drained roasted red peppers, cut into strips (2 oz.)
• 1 oz. goat cheese
• 2 tbsp. thinly sliced green onions
1. TOSS together spinach and vinaigrette. Arrange spinach mixture on 2 slices bread.
2. TOP with red peppers, cheese, green onions and remaining bread.
Makes four sandwiches
8 tablespoons (about 1/2 cup) Nutella (or other hazelnut-chocolate spread)
4 ounces Appleton Creamery Classic Plain goat cheese, at room temperature
8 slices country white bread (1/4 inch thick)
2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
In a small bowl, stir the Nutella and cheese together.
To assemble: Butter one side each slice of bread. Place four slices on your work surface, buttered side down. Spread the cheese mixture evenly over the four slices so that it is about 1/4 inch thick (if it’s any thicker, the sandwich will be too gooey). Place the remaining four bread slices on top, buttered side up. Cut off the crusts (this helps pinch the bread together to create a tight seal).
Stovetop method: Heat a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat for two minutes. Put the sandwiches in the skillet (in batches if necessary), cover and cook for two minutes or until the undersides are golden brown and the cheese has begun to soften. Uncover and turn the sandwiches with a spatula. Cook for one minute or until the undersides are golden brown. Turn the sandwiches again and cook for 30 seconds, or until the cheese is soft and creamy. Serve immediately.
GREAT GRILLED CHEESE: 50 INNOVATIVE RECIPES FOR STOVETOP, GRILL, AND SANDWICH MAKER, by Laura Werlin, Stewart, Tabori & Chang, New York, 2004